Review: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

"The ultimate in flawless natural coverage. Silk Creme foundation is a beautiful, light-diffusing formula offering advanced light-r...


"The ultimate in flawless natural coverage. Silk Creme foundation is a beautiful, light-diffusing formula offering advanced light-reflection properties which cause fine lines and wrinkles to optically vanish. Laura created an innovative foundation that delivers flawless, buildable coverage in a long wearing rich hydrating base."

I have always been a fan of foundations with a dewy finish as I have always loved the natural glow that you get from wearing them. That was until my face decided to turn into an oil slick and "dewy" turned into greasy. Previously, my all time favourite foundation was Rimmel's wake me up (This would probably still be my favourite, if it wasn't for the change in my skin). However, this foundation that I had always relied on to last throughout the day without powder was suddenly melting off my face before lunch time meaning it was time to source a new one. To begin with I was tossing up between Nars Sheer glow, Chanel Vitalumier Aqua and Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation so spent a few weeks testing out the three. I eventually settled on the Silk Creme foundation as I found it really made my skin look like skin. It contains silicones so smoothed over my pores and fine lines giving me a natural looking, flawless coverage.

Being fair and cool toned (NW20 for reference) I use the shade rose ivory, which is a perfect match. It comes in a metallic brown  tube which makes application very tidy and means that no excess product is wasted. It is available in 10 shades which range from light to medium, unfortunately the foundation does not cater for darker skin tones. The standard size tube retails for $59 in Australia and contains 1.8 fl. oz/35ml of foundation.


The product is oil free and fragrance free, however as a result it smells exactly like Revlon Colourstay foundation (chemicals/ paint) although the smell disappears as soon as the product is blended into the skin.

Being a creme foundation the formulation is very thick, yet still lightweight and a little goes a very long way. If you do use it halve what you would use with a regular foundation and potentially even halve it again. The coverage is medium to full but is very easily buildable. I use a sheer layer all over my face generally and then build up the coverage around my chin where I have some hyper pigmentation. The foundation dries quickly on the skin - but not too quickly that you can't blend it out, and has a satin finish. Because of my currently oily skin I do powder this foundation after I use it which sets it nicely and makes it last throughout the day with minimal fading around my t-zone. I will also say that I do get one strange dry patch between my eyebrows (unsure of the cause) and this foundation does not cling to it at all. Generally, I apply this either with my beauty blender or my sigma F80 brush as both give a flawless coverage, however you can use it with your fingers if you like a more sheer coverage. Silk Creme foundation photographs well with flash and does not claim to contain SPF, however the ingredients list does claim that it contains titanium dioxide.

Overall I love this foundation. Due to how little you need to use and how long a tube would last I definitely think that it is well worth the price. I think it would be perfect for all skin types and for anyone who is seeking a natural looking medium to full coverage foundation.

Let me know in the comments below if you have tried/want to try this foundation and what you think of it!



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Your nail colour is lovely! What is it if you don't mind? Love your blog too! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Sally Hansen's complete salon nail polish in Gray-t escape, its the perfect nude and lasts for ages :)

      Delete
  2. Laura Mercier skin creme..love it!! love the review too..thanks XX

    www.beautysalonsrockhampton.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog seems interesting. I do have a similar blog relating Massage in Rockhampton. I would like to re post it in my blog. Would you mind granting me permission?

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images